Friday, March 20, 2015

60 Days Without Facebook - Days 18 - 44

OK, so in typical *me* fashion I did not keep up with this blog.  However, there are 2 things I have kept up with:

1) I'm still off of Facebook
2) I'm still sober

I did reactivate my Facebook account a couple of weeks ago because it had become very clear very fast that the only way to get people to actually interact with you these days is to be on Facebook, and I realized how much of my life I have connected to Facebook.  There were important accounts that I literally could not get logged into without my Facebook account.  I am using it only to log into those accounts and chat with a very selective list of people. I also created an album for pictures of the kids for Mike's parents. I know his mom especially was missing the photos of them.

Let's see...what have I been up to...

Well, I'm still unemployed. I worked for a while for a local family as a mother's helper because she was having health issues in her pregnancy, but she is feeling much better now, and they no longer needed my services. That time was good for me, and I am thankful for it, although it was brief.

I am doing SO much stuff with the kids these days and it's so much fun. We're making crafts a lot and they love it!  We've been focusing a lot on Easter crafts since it's just around the corner.  They are also working a lot of puzzles these days, and they are just so, so smart.  It has truly been a blessing to fully plug myself back into their lives.

I'm still doing crosswords, reading books and magazines, and just being overall more productive in general. My house is like a different place. It still has a long way to go, but it's looking less like a hoard and more like a home. That feels really good. It feels good to let go of things that have been weighing me down.

When I reactivated my Facebook account I went in and left all groups that I knew to be breeding grounds for drama. I also cut my friend list by half. I unfollowed several pages that seem to be geared toward disagreement or heated debate. I really have reached the point that I just don't need the stress and silliness.

I have learned to crochet, and I'm not good at it, but it's a start. It's way easier that knitting. I've also started making hair bows for Emmie Kate, and she gets so excited each time I make another one.

I've learned a lot about myself over these last 6 weeks. I've learned that I don't need social media to survive.  I've learned that I'm actually better person for it. I know I will go back to Facebook when this little experiment is over because I do miss it, but it won't ever be like it was before. The first week or so I felt pretty crazy, alone, disconnected, but now I feel more connected to everything.

More importantly and most importantly, I'm learning to just "be,"  I'm learning to seek out healthy things when I am restless or having cravings (which still wash over me sometimes like waves over a rocky shore).  I think that Mike sees the difference in me. He told me for the first time the other day that I was doing a good job and he was proud.  That hasn't happened before.  Not because he's an ass, but because all of my previous promises to get myself straightened out were empty promises and he knew it.

I wish I could think of some more specific things to report for the last couple of weeks since I last wrote, but I'm tired. It was a long day of living. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment