Wednesday, February 18, 2015

60 Days Without Facebook - Days 10 - 14

February 14 - 18, 2015

I really wish I had the time in the day to keep this blog up on a daily basis, but it just ever really seems to work out that way. I know there are things that were notable at the time that just flee my memory before I come to write when 5 days have passed.

Valentine's Day passed without event. Mike and I continued our tradition of skipping it. My mom went to a lot of trouble with the kids to have them do things for us that were special. They made us a heart shaped cake and cards. It was really sweet. I spent the day organizing and purging their toys...again. Slowly but surely I'm pulling this house back together.

On The 15th (Sunday) I got an unexpected day off and I just spent it hanging out with the kids. Mike has been sick, and in typical Mike fashion, he refuses to go to the doctor. We played, colored, did puzzles, read books...the usual. :)  I also went to the grocery store and got some yummy unprocessed food to eat. I'm craving red bell peppers with ranch dressing like crazy lately, and I plan to try my hand at steamed artichokes, so I picked up a couple of those. I'd like to move back in the direction of clean eating. If  my stuffed artichokes turn out well I'll share the recipe.

Monday I worked and then saw my therapist. It was a good visit she is proud of the progress I've made and I am too really. At the time I'm actually writing this I'm 11 days sober and that's a very good thing. I'm still having a terrible time with night waking. It's actually quite annoying. I wake between 1 and 3am and can't go back to sleep for 1-2 hours. I see my psychiatrist on Wednesday of next week and plan to ask him to change up some of my medication. Maybe that will help. Anyway, Monday night I made parmesan crusted baked chicken with steamed brown rice and fresh steamed broccoli. It felt nice to cook again. I've gotten REALLY out of the habit of cooking. It's quite shameful actually. Ben and Emily have become so accustomed to processed food that they don't eve know how to act when real food is put in front of them. Now that they are almost 3 and I know they can clearly understand the options when it comes to meal times we are going to present the dinner option I make and then an alternative of PB&J. Those are the 2 options. The other option is to not eat. I feel that is fair given their age. They can't keep eating processed chicken nuggets and fried forever.

On Tuesday we woke up with no power.  Well, the power actually went out at about 10:30pm the night before because of the ice storm. I took the kids to my moms and spent a looooong day there. I finally brought them home around 5pm to get things to go back and spend the night. The power came back at about 5:30pm and has been on since. The ice storm wasn't really a big storm, but it was a HUGE mess. Lots of people were without power for a couple of days. We were lucky ours came back within 24 hours. I'll tell you that if ANYTHING was going to drive me back to Facebook, the boredom of an entire day without power would've done it. Haha!  It wasn't too hard, though. There are only a couple of people I am staying in contact with at this point, and they've been super busy.  I've been mostly on my own, but it's been OK spending some time in my own head. That's getting easier.  I do miss them, though. It's hard to feel like people are slipping away, but I've decided not to fight it. True friendships wax and wane at times, and always come back around.

Wednesday I worked and that was actually nice. I am still enjoying my job. It's nice to go into a non-chaotic home, and I feel like I'm learning a lot about how to make my own home more calm and peaceful. I ordered a turbo sweeper from Amazon and it came today. It's this nifty little gadget that plugs in and charges, and then you can have cordless vacuuming on hardwood or carpet. It doesn't do the major job of a full sized vacuum, but it's super easy to use. It was a nice purchase for $35. I also ordered some glass storage containers, and I plan to do away with my plastic containers. We'll see how that goes. Also in the works are microfiber cloths for dusting, white cleaning towels to reduce paper towel usage and a dog brush for this poor, long suffering and ignored dog of ours. Trying to pull everything together after so long not caring if it was together or not is really difficult. It takes a lot of time and patience. I just have to keep reminding myself that it didn't get this way overnight and I can't fix it overnight. Mike has been really sick, so he's not been able to do much. The kids are both still swinging back and forth between OK and cruddy. Ben seems to be pretty well, but EK is struggling with coughing, especially at night.

I am reading a new book. It's a horror called Preta's Realm. I got it free on Amazon. Those books can be hit or miss. After I finished The Fault In Our Stars I started a book called Rush and it was an absolute disaster. I finally gave up on it about halfway through. It just was not good at all. I am thinking I may start another book this evening. I have a Mitford book that Jan Karon just published. It's bound to be a feel good book. Back in the day before Facebook I usually had 2 or 3 books going at once. I don't see any reason I can't get back to that.

I don't feel like going into "news, news" right now, but one thing of note is that today is Ash Wednesday and marks the official beginning of Lent, which means I'm officially 2 weeks Facebook free.  LOL. I fasted today according to custom. One meal and two snacks, abstaining from meat. It was a good start to the Lent season.

No comments:

Post a Comment